About N.C. State Student Media
As a public forum for free expression, the student media at North Carolina State University exist to inform and to entertain, first and foremost, the students followed by members of the surrounding community and peers in the journalism profession. Working in student media gives participants hands-on experience in the mass media which will assist them regardless of their career goals. By upholding the highest standards of journalistic ethics, the student-run media will help students become competent as ethical and responsible adults, who are enthusiastic about their future involvement in human affairs and optimistic about their future.
The first Agromeck yearbook was published in 1903, making it the University’s oldest publication. Technician newspaper began in 1920, while WKNC 88.1 FM radio and Windhover literary magazine started in the 1960s. Student Media expanded again in 1992 with the publication of the Nubian Message multicultural newspaper. Wolf TV joined the Student Media operation in 2009 to provide video content for the other media. The Student Media business office is responsible for selling in excess of $300,000 a year in advertising and sponsorship sales. A chapter of the Society for Collegiate Journalists completes the department.
- Six full-time professional and support staff.
- 220 paid and volunteer student positions, ranging from entry-level reporters, photographers, videographers, designers, DJs and sales representatives to senior level editors and managers for each medium.
- Technician has printed daily since 2000, one of only three daily college newspapers in North Carolina.
- Nubian Message continues to represent the African-American voice across the N.C. State campus.
- WKNC 88.1 FM is a 25,000-watt radio station on air 24/7/365 and online at wknc.org dedicated to local and alternative music programming. WKNC and its DJs are consistently recognized as among the best in the Triangle.
- Agromeck earned seven Pacemaker national awards and four Gold Crowns since 2004.
- Windhover received the Pacemaker national award 13 times and the Gold Crown three times.
- Technician circulates 10,000 print newspapers every Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters at locations across N.C. State’s three campuses. Nubian Message has a biweekly distribution of 500 print newspapers.
- N.C. State students make up an estimated 40 percent of WKNC’s listening audience.
- More than 500 students take a senior portrait for Agromeck every year.
- 1,250 copies of Windhover are distributed each year.
NCSU Student Media
307 Witherspoon, Campus Box 7318
Raleigh, NC 27695