- Susannah distributed a calendar of SCJ events and meetings for the year, here are some highlights:
- WED AUG 26: Information session for members of Student Media; newcomers will talk to us and learn about SCJ, and hopefully join! (7 p.m. @ Witherspoon 3rd floor)
- I (Helen) will design a poster (email to Martha by Saturday, print on/by Monday) advertising the even; poster will feature photos, some in b&w, some color
- SEPT 4: applications due for potential new SCJ members (emailed to Martha)
- SEPT 17: Constitution Day celebration? let’s paint the free expression tunnel red, white, and blue
- SEPT 25: new member inductions; let’s go out to dinner somewhere to celebrate! maybe Amedeo’s?
- OCT 19-25: Free Speech Week: Martha encouraged us to involve professors, as they are a good way to get support and get our
message out there — however,
they are busy, so we need to contact them soon if we want to pursue that
- NOVEMBER (sometime): let’s get out of the board room. We could tour WRAL, visit high school journalism classes, or collaborate with First Year College. Since FYC students are unsure what major they want to follow, doing a presentation about journalism would be applicable.
- not sure who a good faculty coordinator for this would be over at FYC?
- DEC 11: Founder’s Day Celebration: Potluck dinner at someone’s house, perhaps?
2. GENERAL INFO:
- This year there will be a $30 membership fee for new members, and a $10 semester activity fee (for existing members only). These are due by SEPT 15 to Meredith, our treasurer.
- All SCJ members should encourage their Student Media friends to join SCJ – I think May was going to talk to Nubian Message during their Friday meeting? Everyone should follow her lead!
- Ask Susannah for a calendar if you did not get one. Don’t lose it!
3. ATTENDANCE IS IMPORTANT!
- Please show up to things!
- The next SCJ event is the SCJ Info Session on Wednesday, August 26, at 7pm in Witherspoon. Be there or be square.
(Minutes taken by Helen Dear)